Dear Wi-SUN Alliance community,
This year we have seen a lot of hype around different communications technologies for IoT applications, but Wi-SUN FAN continues to deliver wireless mesh with proven coverage, reliability, resilience and flexibility, along with enterprise grade security. We recently released and hosted a webinar around our new white paper Comparing IoT Technologies at a Glance. This paper discusses how Wi-SUN FAN compares with two other technologies often advocated for smart city and utility communications, namely LoRaWAN and NB-IoT. Please click here to download the paper and here for the webinar recording.
Our first wave of FAN 1.0 certified products was announced at DistribuTECH in New Orleans in February this year. At our Spring Member Meeting hosted by Landis+Gyr in Atlanta, we recognized individuals and companies for their leadership, innovation and commitment to delivering the Wi-SUN FAN certification program. In October, we held a productive Fall Member Meeting hosted by III, Allion and Vertexcom in Taipei, Taiwan to solidify our priorities from both the technical and marketing side for the coming year.
We have seen a lot of progress in 2019 and below are a few of the highlights:
- Steady growth in global membership over the last 12 months bringing us to over 250 members, now representing 26 countries.
- Strong PR campaigns supported by press releases, thought leadership articles, speaking engagements and global press coverage.
- City of London media event hosted by Giles Radford, City of London, Itron and Wi-SUN Alliance and attended by a number of press from IoT, networking, IT, government and smart city publications. Be sure to check out the video here to learn more about the City of London case study.
- Presence at global events, including DistribuTECH (US), India Smart Utility Week, Wireless Japan, Asia Utility Week and European Utility Week. In addition, we hosted Open House events in Seoul, Korea and Tokyo, Japan.
- Strengthened Wi-SUN Alliance’s social media presence, including videos, blogs and more, on LinkedIn and Twitter and our own blog site.
As we move into 2020 we look forward to continued support from our members and our partners through social media engagement, promotion of Wi-SUN case studies, and the continued certification and deployment of FAN products into the industry.
We are excited to kick off the New Year at DistribuTECH 2020 in San Antonio, Texas. We are looking forward to another successful show with a growing number of Wi-SUN FAN certified products and a panel session titled How Field Area Networks (FAN) Standards Are Enabling Smart Utilities and Cities scheduled for Jan. 29th from 2-3:30PM.
We anticipate another busy year with a number of global events in the pipeline, including India Smart Utility Week (March) and Wireless Japan (May). We are also a looking to host an Open House event in the US during 2020, details to follow soon. Please be sure to continue to check our website for other global events and we look forward to seeing you at our Spring Members’ Meeting to be held March 25-26, 2020 in Raleigh, NC, USA (further details to follow).
We would like to thank our members and partners for a productive year. The Wi-SUN Board of Directors and staff wish you a joyful holiday and a prosperous 2020!
President and CEO, Wi-SUN Alliance